Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Winning the fight

I think most people that read my blog know that I have MS - multiple sclerosis.  I got one of my mailings today from the MS Society and in it was an article written by a guy that has MS.  He uses humor to talk about it.  When I think about it that is really the only way to live with MS, using humor.  You can feel sorry for yourself or not and I prefer, not.  In the beginning when I was diagnosed and that was a long time ago, I went through all the things you would expect.  Grieving over what was happening to me.  Feeling sorry for myself.  Thinking I would one day be in a wheel chair or worse!  Oh and then there was I won't be able to do anything.  I will be an invalid, a useless individual.  Well after all that nonsense  reality hit.  I had my bad days, some really bad in the beginning.  I had my good days, days when I thought I could do everything I ever did.  The truth of the matter is.  We are all faced with something in our lives and how we choose to handle it is up to us.  I am one of those people that feel there is always a reason for things that happen to us.  When I got this disease my marriage became stronger.  It wasn't always a good marriage because of bad communication.  It finally became clear to my husband that he was needed and always loved, something he doubted.  It became clear to me that he was always going to be there for me in sickness and in health, something I doubted.  So getting MS was not a bad thing.  It also has not been the kind of MS that I can't function with.  I am still walking, driving, doing my own housework, enjoying my family.  Sure there are challenges but with my husband at my side and my faith in tact, all is well.  I am a fighter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment